Serving Those Who Serve in the U.S. Military
National Wreaths Across America Day
December 16, 2017
Join Harvest’s Ministry with Military Team in laying wreaths on gravesites of veterans at Sarasota National Cemetery on December 16 at 9:30 a.m. as part of Wreaths Across America. Contact Bob Rasmussen at 941-592-9838 to participate. A ceremony starts at 9:30 a.m. The Cemetery encourages participants to arrive early to park and allow for traffic. Bob will meet Harvest volunteers on the east end of Patriot Plaza between 9:15 and 10:00 a.m. Harvest volunteers will serve together in one area of the Cemetery. Wreaths are also for sale for $15 - ask Bob for details.
Wreaths Across America is a non-profit organization. This national entity has over a thousand participating organizations in 50 states at 24 national veteran cemeteries.
Harvest's Ministry with Military Team
Harvest's Ministry with Military Team provides compassionate service to active duty military members and their families as well as veterans who have served and sacrificed. The team serves in a variety of ways. They include:
- Manasota Operation Troop Support care packages.
- Turning Points’ Stand Down for homeless veterans every November. The team also periodically sends volunteers to Turning Points to help it with housekeeping tasks for its program with veterans.
- Memorial Day: The team participates in the Lakewood Ranch annual Memorial Day "Tribute to Heroes" parade and the placing of flags on the graves at Sarasota National Cemetery.
- Funerals for Indigent Veterans at Sarasota National Cemetery
The team extends compassion to veterans who have no loved ones present to affirm the significance of their lives by attending funerals for indigent veterans at the Sarasota National Cemetery. All who feel called to attend these funeral services are welcome, and all of Harvest is invited to remember these veterans in prayer. If you are interested in this opportunity, please contact Bob at 941.592.9838 or . After the VA representative provides notification of the date and time for a funeral, an email (or a call if requested) will be promptly generated to provide details to those who have signed up.
- Food Collection Sundays
Harvest collects food on the 3rd Sunday of every month. Select 3rd Sundays benefit the food pantry at Manasota Operation Troop Support (MOTS), a non-profit organization serving veterans, deployed troops, and their families.
- Operation Helping Hand’s monthly dinners at the James A. Haley VA Hospital in Tampa.
In our local area, wreaths are laid on gravesites at Sarasota National Cemetery in December and removed in January. The team volunteers to lay wreaths on gravesites.